Thursday 27 March 2014

Yarn Crawl - Day Six, Edinburgh

I can hear myself singing this song - What a difference a day makes. My feet are feeling great today and ready for my outing to the big city.

Last year I visited Edinburgh and could not find one knitting shop. So before I went I did a bit of research and found on  my favourite wool web site Ravelry a group of knitters in Edinburgh who had done a yarn crawl. Kindly they had listed exactly where they went. So I used the information as a basis for my day. Now not knowing my way around the city I had to rely on a small map and my own drawn map!





Passed a tiny tiny pub.




































Discovered that I had arrived rather early for Edinburgh. - many of the shops not opening till 11am. So I went and had a cuppa and croissant. This was the headlines! Seems so strange that this could make the front page. The issue of women being allowed to become members of THE golf course, St Andrews.














Somehow I ended up walking far too far out of the city and had to abandon the first knitting shop, but it did mean that I passed a few places that I hadn't planned on seeing.










What the heck is "hot and iced bubble tea"?

 This is what I like about going to a big city - you see things that you have never heard of.























Pass Greyfriar Bobby. It's worth clicking on this link to read the story of this dog.



































Not many dogs have a statue built of themselves.


























Hurray eventually I make it to a wool shop - K1 Yarns.


Sells some rather posh yarns, displayed beautifully. Not sure about that jumper in the window - looks rather short and wide, maybe that's the fashion!


Then walked by by the train station - Waverley. It's the second largest train station in the UK. It looks to me as if they have finished restoring the station.


It was great to see some trams - they are being tested at the moment, but are due to start at the beginning of May. It has been a long battle for it to happen - you can if you want to read more here.

 


Ta dah - made it to the second yarn shop - McAree Brothers. They had lots and lots of wool with shelves full of knitting and crochet books. Could have bought the shop, but came out with nothing!


I fell in love with the architecture. Here is Sotheby's - needless to say I did not go in!



Home of Robert Louis Stevenson.
































Really enjoyed exploring these different roads - would never have done this if I hadn't had my yarn crawl list.








Really nice to see people making the most of their small court yards.
























The chimneys are amazing - reminding me of Mary Poppins again - Chim chim cheree.








A picture for my No 4 child who lives and works near Cream of Galloway ice cream. It was a bit too cold to have one, for me anyway.
























Then to the next yarn shop - Kathy's Knits



You'll be pleased to know that I eventually bought some wool!


Got these three balls to knit some small shawlettes.


Sorry its blurred but it was just beginning to rain. Just liked the way this florist displayed their wares.
Stopped to have some lunch and was hoping that the rain might stop, but sadly I had to make the next 15 minute walk in the rain.




The owner of Ginger Twist was very welcoming and when she saw my wet state offered me a cuppa. She dyes her own wool and has a lot of colours to choose from.
























Even in the city there are plenty of daffodils.



I loved spending the day in Edinburgh. It seemed to be a very prosperous city but there were the sad reminders that not all have money.


When I took this picture it was pouring with rain. I saw many people for whatever reason are having to sleep rough.


This man was carving a dog out of sand in order to make some money.


Well now it's time for you to guess where I am or what am I doing?


Any ideas?


Still not sure - well I'll keep you guessing till the end of the blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Having run out of wool shops - I headed over to Jenners. This is a department store that has been running since 1838. Wow!


The store reminded me very much of Libertys in London. Now my feet were really aching and even though I still had forty minutes of shopping time left I decided to call it a day and head back to the railway station. But Mr P did say I could treat myself and so I succumbed and bought a book, I know I hardly dare say it, but it was a cookery book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A girl can never have enough cookery books.


I have been watching the series on television and Mary Berry is just so wonderful. I want her to be MY grandma. She does everything so effortlessly. As I write the series is available to watch on BBC IPlayer, but that will only be for a short while.


OK the answer to my question as to where I was is here..........................................


Those wardrobes were the doors to the changing rooms! I had no idea how fantastic this store layout was going to be. As you go in there is an area with sofas, coffee table and free hot drinks - I think it's especially for the men. By the changing rooms were video game consoles for small children - brilliant place.

Well I had a lovely day and sorry if this has ended up being a long blog. Only one more day of hols left.

No comments:

Post a Comment