Monday 14 May 2012

Family Weekend

This weekend has gone by in a blur. The start of the weekend was me blitzing the house before my dad arrived. His home is always immaculate. When my sister and I were little we had one week of doing the washing up and one week of dusting and hoovering, this we alternated. Dad used to come and check that we'd done our job by wearing a white pair of gloves! If we didn't do our jobs then we would not get our pocket money. Strangely enough the television was always dusted well! The reason for me wittering on about this is that I found tucked behind the curtain a plant that a friend bought me some years ago for my birthday and I discovered through neglect it has flowered!



It was tucked in that corner where I have now moved the pottery to!


So pretty and look there are some buds - so more delights to come!

Anyway on with the weekend. Well for me it was quite exciting having dad come as he was armed with his hammer drill, hacksaw etc - no this is not to do with my cooking! You evil lot! He has come to do jobs that unfortunately Mr P is not gifted in. You see when I got married at 18 years of age I naively thought that all men can do woodwork. In defence of Mr P he's brilliant at repairing cars and has saved us thousands of pounds that we would not have had.











Well Mr P put this cupboard up after a few months of it sitting in our bathroom. But when it was up I realised that there was not enough shelving.


So "ta dah" dad comes armed with tiny bits of hardboard in order to make more shelves. It was a bit of a tall order as there was barely enough space to add the extra shelves to accommodate my spices. I can't wait now to play with them all, getting them in the right order. The picture makes it look rather small but I will have lots of space.




Fed dad lunch as a reward and then amazingly the rare yellow blob came out and I decided to introduce dad to Foxton Locks - one of Leicester's few tourist attractions.



I just love this willow tree, it looks wonderful whatever the season.

Here was one of the boats moored, waiting to go through the flight of locks. But seems as I'm always going to Foxton you'll have to wait and see more pictures of here another time.

There were some people playing folk instruments in order to raise money for the Locks. Dad and I had an argument outside the pub as to who was buying the drinks! Ended up with dad grabbing my purse out of my hand! What's he like!

Anyway back home to make dad earn his roast pork dinner - yum yum. Last summer we bought some pictures back from France and yes you've guessed they have been sitting propped against our living room wall since! I think dad was fed up of seeing them there and so he offered to put them up - hence him bringing his hammer drill.


 Apologies for the quality of my pictures, but it was so hard to take them with the light shining on them and the reflection etc.


The colours don't come out so well of this picture but we just love the blue of the shop, all the gorgeous flowers and the small girl just makes this picture.


It certainly doesn't have these stripes going across!












Oh well and the final picture dad put up was one that I found in a local charity shop.


I actually took the picture off the wall to photograph so that you could all see the amazing craftsmanship of this embroidery. It is quite old but to me it still looks quite modern in design.

Sunday was manic. Started with me collecting the minibus from an old peoples home to collect various people to take to church. We have a rota and I do this once a month. I really enjoy the banter on the minibus and it is a real privilege to do this for so many lovely people who are unable to walk so well. Obviously I took them home afterwards and then Mr P and myself journeyed to Warwickshire to visit Mr P's poorly sister in a home and then on to her daughter's for a family reunion. I'm not showing pictures of people because I feel they deserve their privacy but I will show you one member of their family! This family member belongs to my niece's son. I have to say I had to delete several photographs because they were blurred as I was shaking and scared when I took them! You must be wondering what family member could make me this way - well have a look!































This snake is only a baby - can't remember what sort it is but next year, when he is fully grown he will be 6 ft long!  Uurgh! My niece said he escaped the other night and she couldn't go to bed until he was found. Oh my word I would be petrified and I'm sure having nightmares of him  escaping into my bed if I lived there. You should have seen me when I went to the toilet - I opened the door carefully to check he was no where to be seen!

Finally a little glimpse of something I'm making for No 3's birthday! This is all she is allowed to see.

Finally, finally the evening was finished off with a glass of red wine, snuggled on the settee with Mr P, watching a nice murder (Lewis). Perfect way to end a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment