Thursday, 10 December 2015

Christmas Shopping In Edinburgh

Golly yesterday was like going to work - setting the alarm clock at a similar time as to going to work, getting up in the dark, leaving in the dark etc etc, oh and coming home in the dark. I felt as if I was the only one doing this until you get on the train, from Berwick, to hunt out my reserved seat. I then discover the train is virtually full and these people have been on the train earlier so they must have got up even earlier than me! It must be my age but the train was boiling hot, had the same problem when I used the trains to and from Birmingham the previous week. I was very glad that I had worn a thin tunic dress with short sleeves and a cardigan. As soon as I found my seat the coat and shawl was off followed very shortly by my cardigan. I bet I provided some amusement for my fellow passengers. I love the way that the train arrives into the heart of the city, with all the historic buildings on show - gives me a happy glowing feeling.

I headed straight to John Lewis to get Mr P's Christmas presie. Now I had a good idea what I was getting but wanted some extra information. After a lovely young dishy Scottish man answered ALL my questions he then discovers they have sold out but don't worry he'll order "secret" for me to collect in Leicester. Disaster they've sold out everywhere and may or may not get "secret" in time for Christmas! Aaaaaaargh - devastated. So I then ask him where else I might be able to buy "secret" from in Edinburgh. He kindly gave me a few options, but I felt disappointed as I must be a real shop snob and didn't want to purchase from there! Had to give myself a good talking to and tell myself that I was being ridiculous. It took me a few shops to get what I wanted - also a huge walk, but I was successful.

Lovely to see the trams up and running. It made me feel as if I was in Switzerland or some other country. Must come up with an excuse to go on a tram one day.

Love seeing shops at this time of the year, with their twinkly lights and trees. Now what am I doing in Broughton Street? I know it's not in the main shopping area. Any ideas?

Of course it had to be a woolly shop! Sorry about the picture not displaying all the letters but I feel a bit embarrassed trying to take a picture head on. Apparently she is in the process of having her name repainted on the front of the shop but it keeps on raining and the painters have to come back again, as the last time the paint ran before it had time to dry. Of course it would have been rude to just visit without buying anything. So I got , I know I have OCD, another shawl pattern! I had seen this designer on Ravelry - Lucy Hague. I especially like the way she incorporates celtic patterns into her designs. I looked at the book and was rather overwhelmed by the instructions. So Kathy showed me one of the easier patterns to start with and that was what I ended up getting.

No I have not knitted it already! This is just someone elses knitting. Also I shall be knitting it with a paler coloured wool as Kathy said it is easier to see where you might go wrong. So this will be a project for the new year and not one for in front of the television!

Then I walked about a mile to get to McAree. They have an amazing amount of books and wool. Sorely tempted, but resisted!

I headed back to Princess Street to discover they had a German Christmas market, similar to the one I had seen in Birmingham. Look at the size of those pan handles!

They also had a big wheel, open air ice skating rink and a fair.

Sorry the pictures are dark, but that was the sort of day when it never seems to get bright. Having seen all the food I decided it was time to head to the Royal Mile for lunch. I remember going to a Mexican restaurant some years ago and thought I'd try and find it again.

Viva Mexico in Cockburn Street. I had a seat by the window, so I could carry on watching people. I was not sure what to order and I asked what had a bit of spice and was told the potato and bean dish would hit the mark. The waitress got it right and I found myself drinking a pint glass of water! It took me a while to be able to drink my tea, as my mouth was burning! Now don't let me put you off because I asked for spice and I got it, not everything is that heavily spiced. It was delicious.

After this wonderful refreshment it was time to do some more shopping. The weather outside is getting rather blowy!

I head up the Royal Mile, quick photo of the castle. Then I took this picture.

It came out so blurred because I was physically being moved by the wind! As the wind blew so the rain came and I sought refuge in this woollen mill. There was all the usual tourist stuff and then came the whiskeys. I was staggered at the price tags! Good job I'm not a whiskey drinker! Better stick to my red wine.

Can you imagine buying one of these bottles? I'd be terrified of breaking it on the way home! Perhaps you have a chauffeur if you can afford one of these bottles?

As the day got darker so the shops looked prettier.

The next picture is my last one because I had to stop and put my camera away as the rain became too heavy and the wind became gale force!

I had a fabulous day and spent most of it on my feet. Oh boy was I tired! I treated myself to a long luxurious bath, lit the coal fire watched some television and had an early night. Hopefully off to some woods tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment